Thursday, March 26, 2015

Paris Départ : Madrid

This past Xmas, I wanted to spend it somewhere. So, when friends (all girls) planned a Xmas in Marbella, I happily joined them. But I also had other agenda. I had not travelled much since I got sick. And though hard to admit, I was probably a bit more afraid to just pack up and go than I was before. Also, now I have to pack my medications which put a cramp to the idea of spontaneity in travelling that I always adhered to. But, life must go on. I want to make this trip as a step towards recuperating my fondness for spontaneous travel. Otherwise, what sane gay man would want to spend a week with 5 women ranging from not so young to mature and single or without their husband? 

Madrid metro from Barajas
So, the girls, sorry the womyn, left for Marbella (Malaga is the closest airport to go there). I left a few days later heading first to Madrid to have time by myself (the idea of spending a week with women, though fun, would require a preparation in the form of being with other gay males first). Madrid makes me think of Almodovar with  his wierdly wonderful movies often with gay or ambiguous male characters who are always sexy and appetizing. To make the séjour as gay as possible, I stayed in the gay hostel La Zona. It's  simple, clean and most importantly has very nice hosts (two quite
pleasant to look at guys). It is in a great location near Gran Via (a very lively center of Madrid and has great metro lines) and Chueca (the gay area of Madrid). Since you get your own key at the hotel, you feel like you're visiting friends rather than staying in a hotel. From Madrid Barajas airport, you can either take the metro or the bus to Gran Via (about 30-40 minutes, and just minutes on foot to the hotel).

First thing I wanted to do was just walk around Madrid. To see HAPPY smiley and noisy people. With gray and cold weather, Parisians were not at that time the happiest people on earth (though even when sun shines Parisians are not known to be the happiest people). It was lovely to go see people out and about late at night (Gran Via at midnight looks like rush hours in many other cities what with all the people and the noise they make). I took metro rides and walked all over (bought a 1 day tourist card that let you unlimited ride for the day on buses and metros, including the metro from the airport to town).

Near Plaza Mayor, I found a good little restaurant with the friendliest waiters with whom I managed to communicate even though they did not speak French or English. And we laughed a lot talking sign language of sort and mimes and charades. Unthinkable in Paris. The little restaurant (between Plaza Major and Puerta del Sol is called Jaleo.
Grilled entrecote
They have great grilled entrecote served with what looks like jalapenos along with a big glass of sangria. Their coffee con leche (with milk) is delicious too. The gay Chueca was  not jumping that night at least not outdoors since it's a bit cold.

High speed Spanish trains

Inside the Renfe high speed train
To get to Malaga, I decided to take the high speed train rather than fly. RENFE is the name of the railway company in Spain. The Madrid train station felt more like an airport than a train station. And indeed, the train itself I thought was better than French TGVs. Seated in Tourist Plus class, we were given candy and earphones to listen to music or watch the tv screens bolted to the ceiling in the center of the train every so many rows. I listened to music, not understanding what the hell was going on on tv (some soap opera that looked quite dramatic even without sound or understanding what is being said). There is a buy on board service on the train...a trolley service meaning that you can just be lazy in your seat and wait til they pass. The seats were incredibly comfortable. About 3 hours later I was in Malaga. Took my jacket off, walked out of the train station and said Hello to the Sunshine. Long time no see ! Sigh, it was already time to catch the bus to join the women in Marbella. Cooties !

No comments: