Thursday, March 26, 2015

French speak, again...and Frenchy hamburgers

Today, after all these years, I think my French has improved. Et heureusement (which means, A good thing ! or Luckily !). After all, it is possible that I still mumble incomprehensible French even after all this time in Paris, you know, especially now since there are so many opportunities to speak English and to just live your life here using English or even as if you brought your US, Australian life and plunked it on this Ile de France. Shops, restaurants, rental agencies that speak English or geared for anglophone clients can now be found in many places in Paris. That was not the case before. It was a necessity to speak French when I first arrived here. A good thing because it forced me to learn French quick.  I know I have improved my French since I now have dreams (not all the time, but sometimes) in French. And it does happen time to time that I can think of the word for something in French, but not in English though I know that I know that word. This means that the English word of the thing has become less accessible than the French word. Of course, this disappers in a matter of days when I go to the US, or even the UK (I say even because English accent, whilst pretty, is not always easy to understand for me). I also start showing a disturbing confusion between the languages used in my thoughts (the word/concept I am thinking of) and in my action (writing or typing the word). Happened a couple of times where I was thinking of the word "AND" but was typing "ET" on my macbook  before realizing the discrepancy in the language of thought and of action. I can reel off my cell number in French without thinking, but have to pause and think to say it in English. And the opposite for my landline number (ok, maybe it's just because I use my cell phone for my calls in France but my landline to call the US).

English is now everywhere in Paris, meaning even outside tourist areas. In bistrots where waiters would ignore you because your don't speak French before,  now often have waiters who speak English and seem to like doing so (ok, I probably should not exagerate either, but ...). Sadly, we also see fewer traditional aging men in black apron and crisp white shirt as waiters (very professional and you have to really earn their smile). Many waiters and waitresses are now young, speak English and smile !
Another sign that may indicate more acceptance of things English (or Anglo) is the mushrooming Hamburger joints. Yes, hamburgers. But, this being France, nothing like hamburgers found in fast food places. Indeed, these French joints vindicate their Frenchness by identifying their burgers as 'Frenchy' (the adjective the French think Americans and other English speaking countries use to designate Frenchness rather than just French.Or to just drive the point more).
Captain B.
They also insist on the quality of the meat, the bread and everything else they put in the burger as local and healthy, to distance their burgers from the most known but often considered junk food burgers of the golden arches ! The big distance can of course be found in the prices. A 'menu' Big Mac in Paris costs around 7 euros. Comparable serving of a burger, side dish (home made fries/potatoes) and a drink in Frenchy burger joints may cost you 3 to 4 times that.
Le Mal Barré
Hamburger Classique
A couple burger places that I have tried and liked are : Captain B (my favorite) in Ave Trudaine near métro Anvers and also Le Malbarré near République .
Note oct 2015 :
Captain B. is now closed apparently, replaced by another burger restaurant called Street art...

1 comment:

Paris, bonjour ! said...

Captain B. has since closed and is replaced by another hamburger joint.