Friday, February 22, 2013

Paris or Pretoria?

Many say they envy me for living in Paris…I used to agree that living in Paris is great. But like anywhere else, once you have lived long enough in a place, you start noticing all the things that bug you and you may get itchy feet to be elsewhere. Even Pretoria. Recently I received a work offer from a company in Pretoria, South Africa. I actually thought about it for ages, trying to come to a very life changing décision of leaving Paris and moving there. I wanted to leave Paris because at times I was beginning to think that all the beauty that surrounds me in Paris was not worth the hardship associated with living in Paris (especially the crowd, the prices, the stress etc). It takes more and more effort to enjoy Paris, for me. But is South Africa a good destination to start a new life ? I could imagine being very happy there as much as I could imagine being unhappy. Happy with the weather. Happy with being in a country truly multicultural. Unhappy with having to live with security home system. Unhappy with the economic situation that is exemplified by the discrepancy between the rich and the poor. One thing I noticed during my visit is that people looked happier in Pretoria and J-burg than those in Paris. Despite the fear of crime, despite the fact that many looked poor or poorer than what we see in Paris. I attribute it to Black culture, this happiness. And you know what, it’s probably Paris attitude that makes me so negative at the moment. So, back to decision making....Paris or Pretoria?

No comments: