Saturday, June 13, 2009

Paris’ favorite eats 2

As I am sure you have your Zagat’s and Michelin guides to restaurants, I wish here to go back to the traditional way of getting restaurant recommendations: I asked a few friends of mine to name their favourite restaurants and cafés or brasseries in Paris (Check out also an older post of mine that mentions restaurants that are good and cheap). As usual, I try to get names of cheapish or non expensive restaurants (though there might be exceptions, not all my friends here are poor, luckily).

For French food, I have these recommendations: L’ebauchoire (métro Faidherbe Chaligny, yes I know a mouthful to pronounce) is French traditional in food, décor and ambiance and has good French wine selection. For crêpes, a friend recommends la Creperie de Beaubourg near Centre George Pompidou. I also like the one on rue du Temple in le Marais towards rue de Rivoli (all kinds of crepes, salty to sweet). Café Féria in Place de la mairie in le marais is great for before dinner drinks (happy hours all is half price) and if you want tapas or hamburgers.

When you think of Paris restaurants/cafés, you might think of Brasserie Lipp, Café Flore and Café Deux Magots and le Zinc, the most famous foursome for Anglophones. Brasserie Lipp with its décor from the 19th century and traditional French dishes still banks on its historical significance as a place where Sartre, de Bouvoir, Hemingway used to dine. It’s not that cheap, but the food is good…and though many have said that the service is not friendly, I have had nothing but very friendly service (and here you find traditional French waiters…older men in black and white). Try their Blanquette de veau (veal in white sauce with rice) or confit de canard (duck confit, though the brasserie is known for its choucroute of course). The meals can be followed, of course, by the Mille feuilles, the dessert they are known for, though I could actually think of more exciting desserts than this. Get a table in the main room with gilded mirrors everywhere and a décor that helps imagine those great minds discuss all and everything oh so deeply...
Restaurant le Marché in Place St. Catherine has a nice heated terrace and French food with a couple exotic dishes thrown in among the choices (eg. Curry chicken). But better stick to French ones, I reckon. Le Zebre in Montmartre (Metro Blanche) has fun ambiance but also good food (le moelleux, a mixed of meat and ingredients refried is their most known dish,...try it!). Great beef tartar too.

For Thai food, a friend swore by Ruean Thai (I identified it in another post) in Belleville. I love especially their dried beef in lemongrass and the green curry. For simple but good Vietamese soup and traditional Asian dessert, try Dalat in Belleville. Restaurant Djakarta Bali is an Indonesian restaurant in a small street near Les Halles. You could try the different rijstafel combinations (composed of different dishes with rice and soup) so that you get to try many Indonesian dishes if you don't know them....very friendly service and this is one of just two Indonesian restaurants here (the other is a cooperative restaurant near le theatre d’Odéon).

For African food, here is a recommendation from a friend (I have not myself it myself): the Senegalese restaurant at 7 rues Poissonnier (18th) where you could eat excellent dishes for apparently very cheap. For Antillais, there is les Montagnards in rue Championnet, also in the 18th that I recently went to. I loved it: ambiance antillaise authentic....many friendly not so young Antillais men who easily conversed with you, great rhum for apperitif, and super banane flambée for dessert. The restaurant area is just to the left of the always crowded bar (and crowded outside too where there are a couple tables). I myself still recommend le Petit Dakar in le Marais (4th district). I love their chicken yassa (lemon and onion sauce) but also maffé (in peanut sauce). You should try their jus au gingembre (ginger drink) with these meals.

So I say you: Bon Appetit !

No comments: